Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Real Blessing

The past week has been the biggest emotional roller coaster I've experienced in a long time.  It started out with a really great morning run on Monday, in which I actually ran (yay!!!) with my team, followed by half a race on Tuesday (I was too scared to try and run the whole thing, not wanting to push myself).  Wednesday, I was able to enjoy a great long run, and Thursday I ran an entire workout!  Slowly dreams of running at state inched their way back into my heart, maybe I could make it if I just tried hard enough in these next few weeks.  Quickly I pushed these thoughts away, wanting to focus on the blessing of the moment, of every hour spent running with my team.  The week culminated in celebration as my teammates and I ran to a park for shared laughter, games and ice cream.  By the end of that week I was so happy to be running with my team: laughing with them, exploring with them, sweating through hard runs with them and eating well earned ice cream, together
The following day we all traveled to St.Joe for a meet, and I thoroughly enjoyed running with my friends during the warm up, giving them encouragement for the race ahead.  I ran  some more during the race, trying my hardest to cheer in all the right places, full of excitement for how well they were doing.  Our cool down run together was just as great, relishing in personal bests and a race well run and we laughed and sang as we jogged through the streets.  Then I tripped unexpectedly, crushing my foot against the sidewalk and wrenching my ankle.  "Ow!" I exclaimed, more out of surprise than pain.  "Go ahead guys, I'm just going to head back" I called, not too far from the school, and unworried about walking it out. I figured that the pain would probably disappear quickly, just like every other time I've rolled an ankle.  But by the time I got back to camp pain was shooting through my foot and ankle.  Taking off my shoe revealed an already purple and swollen mass.  I quickly sat down, and got some ice, then pulled my assistant coach aside to show her what had happened.  We both stared down at my foot for a few seconds before I blurted "It hurts really bad."  As soon as those words left my mouth I realized the severity of what had just happened.  Soon I was trying to choke back tears as the hopes of running in a few races before the end of the season slipped away- pushed away by my ballooning foot and ankle.  My swelling emotions took a nosedive, leaving me sitting on top of the water cooler in the middle of camp with tears streaming down my face and sobs wracking my body.  Yet, it was not long before I looked up to see the worried faces of all of my friends, sliding their hands into mine, hugging me, holding me.  My teammates are so supportive. 
For the next few hours I was tenderly comforted by friends who should have been rejoicing over great races, but instead were drying my tears and holding my hand.  It was amazing to see how much they cared; I felt so loved.  And though it now looks like the season is gone for good, I realize what a blessing those few runs with them were, and really what a blessing an entire season with them has been.  I cannot express how much love and gratitude I feel for them, for their support and love for me. Though I'm not able to run with them, we are still a team, together.  That is the biggest blessing of all.

3 comments:

  1. It's always so emotionally painful when injuries happen out of accident, especially when you were starting to get back to running!!! Your post was really amazing and I liked your imagery (however sad it was) when you tripped and realized the extent of the injury. I wasn't there at the time, but I've seen the after effects. I think it's really nice that you have come to such a positive conclusion, especially after these two crazy ankle injuries. All honesty, I loved the writing in this post. I think a tiny big more dialogue might have made what happened a little more fluid. <3 hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I can tell that Cross Country means a lot to you, especially in your last year at high school. Hope you get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, I'm so sorry-- things were looking like they were shaping up too :( . Reading your last few posts and then this one, I feel like I'm with you on this journey. I really felt a lot of powerful emotion coming from your writing.
    I hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete